I had thought to do some kind of overview of the year and it’s major events (personal that is) but, I have yet to be entirely motivated in that direction.
However, today I just wanted to make note of one of those oxymorons which seem to be so popular these days.
Another jobless recovery? It may be too early to tell, but some economists worry that it's 1992 all over again. —CNN Money June 6, 2002
There’s been much talk in this so-called “jobless recovery” of white-collar job loss. In fact, though, this recession, like its predecessors, is still mainly a working class phenomenon. Of the 2.5 million net jobs lost since the recession officially began in march 2001, fully two million of them have been in manufacturing. For a blue-collar worker these days, it seems, even a lunch break can be risky. —Online NewsHour June 23, 2003
People who study the economy, keep telling us there’s good news and bad news. The good news is the economy is growing, if only by less than a percent in the last quarter. The bad news is, so is the number of unemployed Americans. —The Connection
“The truth is, jobs are shifting from the developed to the underdeveloped world” Hiring is occurring now, although it’s “replacement” rather than “expansion” hiring. Companies are being opportunistic and are trying to replace employees with better talent from the outside. In general, companies are maintaining 2003 staffing levels or adding conservatively. The industries that are seeing a pickup: health care, investment banking, business services, and industrial and defense-related areas. Among the job areas most in demand: finance, sales, and general management.
I’m half-heartedly looking for work these days. I can’t say it has been the driving force in my life at the moment. However, I know quite a few people who are out of work, have been for a long, long time and are hopeless about their prospects (Tom, Roberta, Pete and Ray) and there’s another group that numbers among the recently unemployed through layoffs (Bruce, Jack and Doug).
Needless to say, when I hear of people losing their jobs or having trouble finding a new one, it worries me. I worry for the people I know and also I am concerned about my own prospects.
The question becomes, what is going on in this country?
In my industry, I think the is one of those ‘paradigm shifts’ going on. Beyond the external pressures of the marketplace, the market itself is undergoing a change in the process of work. The niche that I and some of my peers once occupied is getting smaller and at the same time in other areas of the business there is a demand for an increased skill set. Also, there is a shift in the emphasis on what constitutes quality.
So, where does that leave us all?
Well, there’s an election coming up but, I haven’t heard anyone outside of Dick Gephardt talk about the external pressures on the American worker. As Gephardt put it, ‘free trade doesn’t mean a race to the bottom.’ Gephardt is out of the race (unfortunately) but, I’ll be keeping an ear out to hear who addresses that issue.
No comments:
Post a Comment